COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Posted on 9/20/17
The Water Council is hiring a full-time communications professional with a bachelor’s degree in business or communications with at least five years of communications, marketing, branding, and/or project management business experience. We are seeking a skilled writer, proofreader and editor who is an adaptive, strategic planner with a mindset of continuous improvement. Experience writing for business or economic development organizations is a plus. This position reports to the VP Marketing & Communications.
- Write and administer a high volume of effective marketing copy for all email marketing campaigns including newsletters, special announcements and event invitations; design in MailChimp; track/report on results
- Develop and execute strategic communications plans for TWC events, program calls for applications and various announcements
- Develop content for website, op-eds, blogs, print pieces, surveys, annual reports, interviews, talking points, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Draft and distribute press releases; coordinate press conferences
- Draft and manage social media content and ad campaigns; track/report on results to build and maintain a strong social presence
- Work with marketing team to develop and maintain annual communications calendar; Manage TWC’s marketing email account; reply to inquiries and distribute messages to staff as needed
- Work with and guide consultants through graphic design and other projects; manage established budgets
- Manage and update website content and blog using WordPress; work with vendors to troubleshoot issues; update hero images and visuals
- Ensure messaging and content are in alignment with TWC’s brand
- Photography and tour assistance when needed; Organize and maintain photo library
- Point of contact for external requests for photos, logos, content, etc.
- Additional projects as assigned
TECHNICAL SKILLS: Microsoft Office, MailChimp, SalesForce, eTouches, WordPress, Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Adobe Creative Suite
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment is casual but fast paced with multiple activities occurring at the same time. The employee needs to be able to work independently and efficiently allocate one’s own time; handling multiple demands and priorities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to mainly work in an office environment on a computer. This position can include non-standard hours; flexibility is required. Some travel may be required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time (40+ hours per week) with benefits. High volume of evening events and some weekend events.
OTHER SKILLS: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following skills:
- Establish plans – Develop short- and long-range plans that are appropriately comprehensive, realistic, and effective in meeting goals. Integrate planning efforts across work units.
- Develop systems and processes – Identifies and implements effective processes and procedures for accomplishment of work.
- Work efficiently – Allocate one’s time efficiently; handles multiple demands and completes priorities, efficiently processes paperwork; manages meetings effectively.
- Oral communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions. Ability to speak effectively with board members, employees of organization, members, and visitors, preferred.
- Foster open communication – Creates an atmosphere in which timely and high-quality information flows smoothly between self and others; encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions.
- Listen to others – Actively attends to and conveys understanding of the comments and questions of others; listens well in a group.
- Prepare written communications – Conveys information clearly and effectively through both formal and informal documents, reviews and edits written work constructively.
- Build relationships – Relates to people in an open, friendly, accepting manner; shows sincere interest in others and their concerns; initiates and develops relationships with others as a key priority.
- Display organizational savvy – Develops effective give-and-take relationships with others; recognizes and effectively balances the interest and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
- Value diversity – Shows and fosters respect and appreciation for each person whatever that person’s background, race, age, gender, disability, values, lifestyle, perspectives, or interests; seeks to understand the worldview of others; sees differences in people as opportunities for learning about and approaching things differently.
- Advances change – Questions the status quo and champions new initiatives; acts as a catalyst of change and stimulates others to change; paves the way for needed changes; manages implementation effectively.
- Drives for results – Drives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition.
- Shows work commitment – Sets high standards of performance, pursues aggressive goals and works hard to achieve them.
Organizational Strategy Skills
- Commit to quality – Emphasizes the need to deliver quality products and/or services, defines standards for quality and evaluates products, processes and/or services against those standards; manages quality.
- Focus on customer needs – Anticipates customer needs, takes action to meet customer needs; continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction.
- Organizational support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
- Act with integrity – Demonstrates principled leadership and sound business ethics; shows consistency among principles, values, and behavior; builds trust with others through own authenticity and follow-through on commitments.
- Demonstrate adaptability – Handles day-to-day work challenges confidently; is willing and able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change; shows resilience in the face of constraints, frustrations, or adversity; demonstrates flexibility.
- Develop oneself – Learns from experience; actively pursues learning and self-development, seeks feedback and welcomes unsolicited feedback; modifies behavior in light of feedback.
- Use sound judgement – Makes timely and sound decisions; makes decisions under conditions of uncertainty.
- Innovate – Generates new ideas; goes beyond the status quo; recognizes the need for new or modified approaches; brings perspectives and approaches together, combining them in creative ways.
- Analyze issues – Gathers relevant information systematically; considers a broad range of issues or factors; grasps complexities and perceives relationships among problems or issues; seeks input from others; uses accurate logic in analysis.
APPLY: Applicants should submit cover letter, resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 20, 2017. Please include the position title in the subject line of the email.